How do we know when the Spirit is speaking or acting through us? There are some Christians who say that they have heard the audible voice of God. It has been my experience that most Christians “hear” God in a different way.
The Spirit of God speaks and acts through us and it often begins with an inner whisper. The Spirit helps us sort through these “whispers” (our own inner thoughts motivations and the intentions of the heart .) The Bible teaches that our figurative hearts cannot be trusted nor our carnality. (Jeremiah 17:9) God is faithful and we can trust that when we invite the Spirit to live within us that God then works to align our character with His own character . (Galatians 5:22, 23 compare Matthew 18:19) We can be thankful that God also reveals His will to us through the Spirit by shaping our encounters in His presence. Simply put, hearing the Spirit speak means this – there are moments when you sense through reading the Bible or prayer that God has placed something deep within your spirit. You sense that God has placed it there to call you to action or an adjustments in your mind, soul, body and strength – it is in those places that God finds our love . ( Deuteronomy 6:5, Matthew 22:37)
Then there are times or even providential seasons when we have a collection experiences of “coincidences ” and reach an “Aha” moment because of them. Make no mistake, there are no coincidences when it comes to God. He is intentional and personally involved the moment you believed and prayed to invite Him into your situation. (John 14:14) You may find that you receive confirmation of God’s direction in your life through, unexpected encounters with other people or you may be inspired to provide comforting words or it could be an answer to your prayers as a reward for diligently seeking the will and heart of the Father . God has blessed us with a worldwide brotherhood and sisterhood. God has set up our lives and our world to work together and to be connected through each other.
Here are a few other ways that we hear or listen to the Holy Spirit:
- We are listening to the Spirit of God when we choose to act in accord with his revealed will for us .
- We can “hear” the Spirit of God when we hear God breathed words spoken by others. When we make it our aim to soak ourselves in the written word of God regularly we will began speaking the Word to others. We should be quick obey “nudges” by the Spirit to speak God’s words to console a friend , serve others or to adjust our perspective .
- We are listening to the Spirit of God when we overcome the initial carnal response to our problems. We must keep in mind that our carnality is in opposition to Holy Spirit’s leading and God’s will. (1 Corinthians 3:1-3) W
- We are listening to the Spirit of God when we putting our feelings on the back burner and act as Christ would in a given situation then the Spirit is leading or speaking to our spirit .
- Speaking God’s written word back to Him in prayer is another way we can hear the Spirit. There is power in agreement! If you are a child of God you have the Holy Spirit taking up residence inside of you. When we Speak the promises of God allows us to Hear the Spirit speak the heart of God through scripture.
The Holy Spirit strengthens our relationship with the Father through the revelation of the Word – our Lord Jesus the living Christ. Jesus promised upon ascension that the Helper would be with us to the end of the Age . ( John 14:16, Matthew 28:19,20) So reach out and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you today! Communication with our Father came at very high cost- it was made possible through the shed blood of Jesus our Lord to the Glory of our Father .
God will provide wisdom and direction to those who ask for it. It is through a training of our perceptive powers through the living Word that we can discern the “voice” of God. The Holy Spirit is often called the forgotten helper but let us never forget the power of God who raised our Christ and let the Spirit bind our hearts forevermore to the Father and the Son!
Written By ShayV- GWiT